Friday, April 15, 2011

Corporate Whores Can Change.....



Every now and then you run across an inspiring story and you realize that not all whores take the same well traveled road. Last time I was in LA (yes, it was for a corporate function), I found myself in need of a neck tie. After a wonderful brunch in West Hollywood, I happened upon a small boutique men's shop called Duncan Quinn. The gentleman that was minding the store had a charming accent and was from England, I believe. He told my colleague and I about his former career as an advertising executive....and that it was eating him alive....he walked away from it all to work for a designer (and brand) that he believed in. From the high-pressured halls of corporate America to a small, trendy boutique shop that does made-to-measure men's suits and also has a barber on-site, complete with fine scotch and cigars. Probably sounds like a bad choice to you, but I must tell you, after talking with him, buying a necktie and a croquet shirt I began to see his passion for the customer, the merchandise, the brand and the lifestyle.  It made me ask, once again: Who's the fool?


1 comment: